The RAC is headquartered in Birmingham and offers vehicle and breakdown services nationwide and across Europe through a branded patrol force, focusing primarily on vehicle repair and recovery. They offer a solution for all motoring needs – from roadside assistance to insurance, buying a used car to vehicle inspections, and legal services to travel information.
The RAC’s car insurance policies are rated five stars by Defaqto.
What types of cover does RAC offer?
New customers can choose between standard RAC car insurance and RAC Car Insurance Plus which is their highest level of comprehensive car insurance cover. RAC's range includes the following:
- Third party only policies: the legal minimum insurance cover; available with standard RAC car insurance to cover damage to other parties’ vehicles, property and injuries to them caused by your vehicle.
- Third party, fire and theft (TPFT) policies: third party liability cover as well as cover against fire damage to your vehicle or theft. Also available with standard RAC car insurance.
- RAC Car Insurance Plus: A fully comprehensive policy which includes TPFT cover as well as cover for damage to your vehicle caused by accidents. This cover may include:
- Uninsured driver promise – so you won’t lose your no claims bonus if you were hit by an uninsured driver.
- Free Motor Legal Protection cover up to £100,000 for the first 12 months of the policy.
- Up to 65% off with 9+ years no claims discount.
- Vandalism promise – if your car is vandalised you won’t lose your no claims bonus.
- Young or new driver policies: Black Box insurance to drive down the cost of insurance for new or inexperienced drivers.
- Multicar Insurance: Insurance cover for the whole family if you have 2 or more cars, with a 10% policy discount for every additional car. Multi-car cover includes:
- Separate no claims discount for each car.
- Not just for family members - as long as you live at the same household you can benefit from a multicar policy.
- Temporary Insurance: Flexible and immediate short-term cover designed to help you out if you need to drive someone else’s car.
- From 1 hour to 30 days, and you can pay by the day.
- Instant cover.
- Overseas licences accepted.
Why choose RAC?
- Experience – with over 120 years helping motorists, RAC is a name you can trust when it comes to car insurance.
- Service – Defaqto rated RAC Car Insurance Plus as 5 star rated insurance five years in a row from 2015 to 2020.
- Affordable – you can pay less than £132 a year for RAC Car Insurance Plus. RAC members also pay £86 less on average for RAC car insurance than non-members.
- Award-winning – Moneyfacts Consumer Awards 2019 named RAC the Car Insurance provider of the year.