Admiral is a Welsh insurance giant and such a popular choice for car insurance it likely covers the vehicles of some of your family members or friends.
Admiral was founded in 1993 and has grown in leaps and bounds, but without sacrificing its Welsh pride or the ethos of a smaller firm. In 2018, the firm became Britain’s most popular car insurance provider, with a 15.2% share of the market and £2.1 billion in gross written premiums.
Even if you’re not paying your premiums directly to Admiral, they may be behind your insurance cover in some way. Admiral is the parent company of several popular car insurance brands: Elephant, Diamond (specialising in insurance for women), and Bell (specialising in black box insurance for young drivers). Meanwhile, Gladiator is a commercial vehicle insurance broker, acting on behalf of several of the UK’s largest commercial vehicle insurers.
Admiral is the only FTSE 100 company based in Wales and, with headquarters in Cardiff with offices in Newport and Swansea, is one of the largest employers in South Wales. In addition to the UK, Admiral has operations in Canada, France, India, Italy, Mexico, Spain, Turkey, and the US and 6.5 million customers worldwide.
What types of cover does Admiral offer?
- Third party policies the legal minimum insurance cover; covers damage your car causes to other parties’ vehicles and property and injuries to them but doesn’t cover your own vehicle.
- Third party, fire and theft policies (TPFT) offers third party liability cover and covers your own car against fire damage and theft.
- Comprehensive policies covers all eventualities, including damage to your vehicle caused in accidents, even those at which you are at fault With Admiral, also includes 90 days of European cover and courtesy car cover.
- MultiCar policies, covering up to five vehicles, including for family members living at different addresses.
- Classic car insurance, for vehicles between 35 and 70 years old and valued between £1,000 and £25,000.
- LittleBox black box insurance, available with both single car and MultiCar policies; can save you up to 20% on your premiums.
- Veygo Insurance insurance for ‘drivers with no cars,’ including learner drivers and others borrowing vehicles. These policies cover drivers on a family or friend’s vehicle by the day, week or month, from 2 hours to 90 days. Any claims you make on these policies won’t affect the owner’s no claims bonus (NCB).
- GAP insurance insures you against loss of value of your vehicle over time, so if the vehicle is stolen or written off, you’ll be compensated enough to pay for a brand-new replacement, not the current market value.
- three levels of breakdown cover.
Why choose Admiral?
- Experience: Admiral has sold more than 15 million policies over the last 25 years.
- European cover: comprehensive policies come with 90 days of European cover.
- Courtesy car cover: with comprehensive policies, when you use an Admiral authorised repairer.
- Sat nav and personal belongings cover: policies cover vehicle accessories like sat navs and personal possessions you leave in the car, up to £150.
- Windscreen cover: covers the repair and replacement of windscreens, although your excess will apply.
- Multi-car policies: insure up to five vehicles, including for family members at different addresses.
- Awarded: voted best car insurance provider seven years in a row in the Personal Finance Awards.