What is Toyota?
Founded in 1937, Japanese car brand Toyota are the largest manufacturer of cars in the world. Its philosophy is one of continuous improvement on their products (a concept they call kaizen), demonstrated no clearer than through what’s probably the most recognisable hybrid car in the world: the Prius.
Their green energy stance is fairly forward-thinking and Toyota are widely praised for producing affordable, economical cars that are built to last. In the future, they aim for all their models to have a hybrid option. They are also the parent company of Lexus.
Popular Toyota Models
There are 50 insurance groups that cars fall into. Generally, the higher the group, the more expensive insurance is:
- Prius - First released in Japan in 1997, the Prius is now probably the most prolific hybrid car. All models have a 1.8 litre engine, with petrol only used when more power is needed at higher speeds. Insurance groups range from 14 to 22 depending on the specification.
- Rav4 – As 4x4s go, the Rav4 is surprisingly affordable to insure. It has all the benefits of a 4x4 without feeling cumbersome; they’re also economical and reliable. If you want a Rav4, you’re looking at car insurance groups 23-32.
- Yaris – These cars are known for their reliability. Their engines are generally at the smaller end of the scale, ranging from 1.0-1.5 litres, meaning they cost less to insure and are better for the environment. If you were to buy an Edition model, your insurance would fall into group 3, making the Yaris one of the cheapest cars to insure. The iQ is a similarly affordable model.
How to Get Cheaper Toyota Insurance
To find cheap car insurance for your Toyota, try the following:
- Telematics insurance: install a device that records your driving habits. It can prove you’re a safe driver and in turn help you get a cheaper quote.
- Up your excess: you can increase your voluntary excess (the amount you have to pay in the event of a claim) which can help bring down your premium. Just be mindful of what you can realistically afford.
- Additional drivers: naming another driver on your policy can bring your quote down, but you must be honest.
- Go for a cheaper model: choosing a more basic car over a top-of-the-range one can massively reduce your quote.
- Upfront payments: paying for your policy upfront, as opposed to in monthly instalments, saves you money overall.
- Improve your car’s security: changing where your car is parked or installing anti-theft devices can decrease your premium.
- Drive less or car-share: the less you’re on the road, the less likely is you’ll be involved in an incident. Reducing your annual mileage could help cut costs.
- Job descriptions: professions with similar titles can yield different quotes, so play around with phrasing. Again, just be sure to keep it honest.
- Switch providers each year: you’ll almost always get a better deal if you change insurers. Check out how to compare car insurance deals with us below.
Compare Toyota Insurance
If you’re looking for cheap Toyota car insurance, then a great place to start is by running a car insurance comparison with us. We compare deals from more than 100 insurance providers, so you can be sure to find something you’re after.
You’ll just need a few details to hand, such as what make and model the car is, who will be driving it and the level of cover you want. Hit search to compare Toyota insurance quotes. You’ll be able to filter your search by a range of criteria such as cost, policy duration and level of voluntary excess.