Content begins

Car Insurance

Compare car insurance from leading UK motor insurance providers

£70 Cash Back!

Purchase car insurance through MoneyExpert and we will give you £30 cash back! If you switch utilities as well we will bump your cash up to an amazing £70!

Start a new quote Retrieve

How do I claim my cash back?

I want to compare & switch utilities

Accident Advice

We compare

Swift Cover Car Insurance Hastings Direct Car Insurance Endsleigh Car Insurance Kwick Fit Car Insurance More Than Car Insurance Diamond Car Insurance Admiral Car Insurance Elephant Car Insurance RAC Car Insurance AA Car Insurance 1st Central Car Insurance Santander Car Insurance eCar Car Insurance IGO4 Car Insurance central Car Insurance

and more...

Guide to car insurance excess

Car insurance excess is the amount of money you will have to pay if you make a car insurance claim. The excess usually consists of a voluntary excess and a compulsory. Excess’ vary between cars and also with the age of the driver. The voluntary excess is generally a set amount but the voluntary excess can be tweaked when getting a policy which can help to lower your car insurance premiums.

How does my excess lower my car insurance premium?

By adding a voluntary excess to your car insurance policy you are saying to your insurance company that you are willing to pay more towards the cost of any claim. As insurers know the average price of claims for certain cars they can adjust the overall policy price to reflect the amount you are willing to offer.

What do I pay in the event of a claim?

The amount of the excess you will have to pay out in the event of a claim depends on if it is a fault or none fault claim.

If it is you at fault (which includes theft) you would be expected to pay out both the compulsory and voluntary excess.

If you have comprehensive insurance which includes legal cover, in the event of a not at fault claim you should be able to have your excess covered or be able to claim your excess back. If you only have third party or third party fire and theft insurance and you have paid for legal cover you should be able to claim though ULR. ULR is an additional insurance protection that you can take out while purchasing your insurance. When a motor accident was the fault of a third party, your insurers will attempt to recover the uninsured losses including repair costs, policy excess, loss of use, hire costs of alternative vehicle and transport costs.

What happens if I am hit by an uninsured driver?

If you have comprehensive insurance you will be able to claim against your own insurance policy. In this instance the full voluntary and compulsory excess will apply. It is worth noting also that by claiming against your own policy you may lose some or all of your no claims discount . If you only have third party or third party fire and theft insurance, unfortunately you will not be covered.

If you don’t know how much your insurance is or are looking for cheaper car insurance Money Expert can help you.

Compare car insurance with

MoneyExpert Ltd is not authorised to provide advice and are introducing you to a regulated firm with whom we are not under a contractual obligation to conduct insurance mediation business with exclusively. You should ensure you provide any potential insurer with your full details and ensure that you are eligible to make a claim(s) in relation to the cover offered. MoneyExpert Ltd will receive a small payment for this introduction which will not normally exceed £35.

MoneyExpert does not give advice on or recommend any particular insurance product or service or whether it is suitable for your personal circumstances. The information provided is to help you to make your own choice about how to proceed.

Why compare with MoneyExpert?

  • Save £££s in minutesCompare a large selection of leading car insurance providers in just a few minutes
  • No hidden extrasThe car insurance quote you see is the price you see is the price you pay.
  • Safe & secureYour personal car insurance details will never be passed onto third parties.

Car Insurance News

  • 14 Dec 2015

    RAC: Petrol Likely to Drop to £1 per Litre

    As price for Brent crude drop to their lowest point since 2009, the RAC has announced that prices at the pump should drop by 3p and 5p a litre, for petrol and diesel respectively.

  • 2 Dec 2015

    Drivers Who Pass First Time are More Complacent

    Those who brag about passing their test first time are likely to have their confidence dealt a rather swift blow following a report as it emerges that they are among the least safe drivers on the road.

  • 9 Oct 2015

    Car Insurance Premiums Increase by 8% in a Year

    After the most drastic quarterly increase in the last five years, UK motorists are now paying an average of £47 more than they were last year for their car insurance premiums.

  • 24 Sep 2015

    Liverpool: Whiplash Capital of Britain

    Liverpool can now boast a second title to add to its collection that currently includes European Capital of Culture (2008) after it has been revealed that over half of all road accidents in the Northern city result in injury claims.

View full news section


© 2016

MoneyExpert Limited Registered in England. Registered Number 04765843. Registered Office: MoneyExpert Limited, Huxley House, Weyside Park, Catteshall Lane, Godalming, GU7 1XE. Data Protection Licence Number Z8204138. MoneyExpert Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. FCA regulation number 679652.

Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy Cookies Site Map Complaint Handling