Second drivers ‘must be properly insured’

Drivers heading to music festivals and planning to take a second driver are being advised by the RAC to make sure that the other driver is named on their car insurance policy.

According to the RAC, there is a lot of misunderstanding about insurance and it is important that everything is above board.

Failure to take proper steps means that the owner could face “100 per cent of the bill” should the second driver crash the car.

Erik Nelson, a spokesperson for the RAC, said that if a vehicle owner wants a friend to drive them to or from Glastonbury then they need to call their insurer and “add that person on as a named driver of the vehicle”.

“If a person wanted to drive a friend’s car and were insured fully comprehensively on their own vehicle they would be third party only on their friend’s car,” he added.

According to the AA’s British Insurance Premium Index, drivers aged under 21 years old are five times more likely to have an accident than those aged over 35.

© Adfero Ltd

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *