More than £38 million was saved by 130,000 households switching energy supplier – in just one month of the ëPower to Switchí campaign.
Compared with the same period the previous year, the figures, provided by Ofgem accredited price comparison sites, also show:
– 193% increase in total savings
– Average saving of £312 for dual fuel switches ñ an increase of nearly 60%
– 80% increase in the number of households who switched
Wrapping up the campaign, Energy and Climate Change Secretary, Ed Davey, said:
ìOur campaign has helped put millions of pounds back in peopleís pockets ñ and thousands have benefitted.
ìA huge increase in switching in a four week period shows that people want better deals from energy providers ñ and our reforms to the market have driven competition and made that possible.î
Energy and Climate Change Minister Amber Rudd said:
ìWhat a terrific response to our campaign ñ thousands are better off and taking advantage of more competitive deals on the market.
ìItís not too late ñ even more people can still switch and save today.î
The Governmentís programme of energy market reform includes:
– Halving switching times – it now takes only 17 days to switch energy supplier down from 5 weeks last year
– Encouraging new suppliers on to the market ñ there are now 21 independent suppliers
– Legislating to back Ofgem reforms that force energy companies to make energy bills clearer ñ and providing information for customers about how to switch
Electricity switching figures covering the campaign period will be published by Energy UK in April and May.
For more information about how to switch energy supplier visit Be An Energy Shopper’s website or call the Energy Saving Advice Service on 0300 123 1234.
Save money on your energy bills by comparing Energy Prices with MoneyExpert.com and earn up to £25 cashback if you switch your gas and electricity suppliers.