Drivers must extend cover when abroad

People should be aware that they need to extend their car insurance policy when they drive abroad, one insurance provider has said.

“Our advice to customers is that, before you travel abroad, you should phone up your insurer and check,” commented Keith Maxwell, motor account manager for MORE TH>N.

Mr Maxwell explained that most insurers will issue a foreign use extension. Some may charge for it, others will issue it free of charge for a certain period of time, he added.

The price of the extension “depends on what countries they’re visiting – countries are mapped into different zones,” he continued.

According to the Association of British Insurers, over two million UK drivers take their car abroad every year.

However, the organisation warned that UK motor policies only provide the minimum legal cover for driving in other European Union states.

For example, UK drivers would only be insured for third-party damages when involved in a collision abroad.

© Adfero Ltd

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *