Drivers advised to check overseas cover

Drivers heading off to the continent on holiday were today advised to check the extent to which their car insurance policy covers them for overseas motoring.

Ian Crowder, public relations manager for the AA, explained that policies purchased in the UK are required to offer the minimum legal level of cover required for driving in other EU countries.

However, that does not mean a comprehensive policy bought in the UK will provide comprehensive cover when the vehicle is driven abroad, he continued.

Insurers have different approaches to overseas motoring, said Mr Crowder, as some provide 90 days free comprehensive cover, others offer the chance to purchase an upgrade to comprehensive cover abroad and some will not provide anything other than the legal minimum.

He added that not having the right cover could prove expensive in the event of a crash abroad, explaining: “You’ve got the expense of getting your car removed and so on, which wouldn’t be covered by your insurance if you haven’t extended your comprehensive cover to drive in Europe.”

The advice could be useful for many motorists, as figures compiled by the RAC Foundation show that three million people a year take their cars overseas via ferries or the channel tunnel.

© Adfero Ltd

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *