You likely recognise Halifax as a high street bank. Founded in its namesake West Yorkshire city as a building society in 1853, Halifax is today a division of the Bank of Scotland, itself a subsidiary of Lloyds Banking Group, the UK’s most popular consumer bank. A YouGov survey found that Halifax is the second most popular UK bank, with a 52% approval rating from the public, especially among members of Generation X.
While Halifax is known for its current accounts, mortgages and credit cards, it also trades in the insurance market, selling home, life, business, travel, renters, landlord and car insurance. Customers of Halifax online banking qualify for a 10% discount off car insurance policies, making it an economical and low-hassle choice for bundlers.
What types of cover does Halifax offer?
Halifax sells three tiers of cover:
- Third party only: policies which provide the legal minimum of third-party liability cover, paying out for the repair of vehicles and property you cause damage to while operating your vehicle but not any damage your vehicle itself sustains
- Third party, fire and theft (TPFT): provides third party liability cover and also compensates you if your vehicle is damaged in a fire or stolen.
- Comprehensive: policies which provide all the cover above but also protect your own vehicle.
Halifax car insurance policies include the following additional cover as standard:
- European cover: gives you the same level of cover as in the UK, for up to 60 days (all policies)
- courtesy car cover: provides you with a replacement vehicle while yours is being repaired by an approved garage (comprehensive policies only)
- vandalism cover: pays for the repair of your vehicle if it damaged maliciously (comprehensive policies only)
Policies can also be topped up with extra cover, for an additional charge on your premiums:
- RAC breakdown cover: at the most basic level, provides roadside assistance in the UK but can be increased to cover assistance at home and across the EU and onward travel
- Motor legal protection: gives you up to £100,000 of cover for legal services following an accident, to help you obtain compensation for injury and medical treatment and recoup costs including your excess and lost wages. Also provides you with access to a 24/7 legal helpline.
- Key cover: if you lose your keys, covers the cost of a locksmith, car hire for up to three days and replacement keys
- No claims discount (NCD) protection: protects your no claims discount, allowing you to make two fault claims within three years without impacting NCDs of over four years
Why choose Halifax?
- 10% discount for Halifax banking customers who use online banking
- 24/7 claims helpline so you can make a claim any day or night
- Guarantee on repairs: 3-year guarantee on repairs made as part of an approved claim (with comprehensive policies)
- New car replacement: if a vehicle under 12 months old is stolen, the provision gives you a new replacement (with comprehensive policies)
Compare car insurance policies from Halifax and over 100 over providers with Money Expert.